10.04.2011

Self-Stitched Challenge - Week 4 and Final Thoughts

I'm probably the last participant of the Self-Stitched September challenge to post for week four but I've been under-the-weather. Better late than never, right?

So, let's see. For week four, I wore my New England style bracelet again (posted here), three different pairs of my handmade pajama pants (Simplicity 3571, reviewed last year), and my newly sewn green corduroy skirt.

After a nice fall walk with DF and CoCo.
Henley: Aerie
Skirt: Handmade, Simplicity 2451
Shoes, Sperry
P.S. I can't help but laugh at CoCo's tongue in this shot!

[Confession: I finished and wore my skirt on October 1st but, as it is still part of the last week of September, I'm counting it ;) ]

So, having just completed my very first sewing challenge, what are my thoughts? Well, I stretched the rules a few times and just barely met my goal of at least one item per week but I did enjoy the challenge.

This event pushed me to actually wear what I make, which I expect was the point, and it encouraged me to make new items. I knew I was sorely lacking in fall garments, which is why I set my bar so low but, I had expected to be able to whip up at least one garment a week to keep up. This challenge pointed out just how frequently life gets in the way. Even as a housewife, I am fairly busy and my priorities are constantly being shifted. In fact, if it weren't for this challenge pushing me, I might not have made anything at all in September!

I also examined the items I have made and realized that I will be limited in the spring as well! I'll have no problem with one item per week but that means I'll want to commit to two or three to make it a challenge. Oh, won't that be fun!? (Actually, yes!)

Overall, I really liked participating in "Self-Stitched September '11" and will certainly be looking for more sewing challenges in the future! It was great to be pushed to self-expand my wardrobe but also to see the wide variety of garments other sewists from all over the world are making! The Flicker album is like a little inspiration lookbook and if you haven't popped by yet, you should!

Do you know of any more fun challenges ahead? x

2 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with a classic corduroy skirt, especially for Fall, and especially in green. The color looks terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you @Pam! That's so kind of you to say!

    ReplyDelete

Let's keep the conversation going! Feel free to comment below or on Instagram!

If you want to comment without linking to your profile (or if you don't have an account), please choose "Name/URL" from the drop-down and leave your first name (website optional) so I know who I'm responding to. I can't wait to read your feedback! x